Tuesday 9 August 2011

Defender Seeking Loan Move

Everton's Irish centre-half Shane Duffy has revealed that he is looking to go out on loan in the coming season to gain experience.

Duffy, 19, spent part of last season on loan at Championship side Burnley although, speaking to the Irish Independent, the youngster said he felt that the move was not a success.

"Burnley was the right club for me to go on loan to, but maybe at the wrong time. I played the full match (against Ipswich) but didn't get in after that."

His exclusion from the Ireland U19 squad compounded a miserable year for the young defender and he is determined to make amends this time around: "I didn't regain my fitness and my performances weren't good at all.

"The Ireland U19s turned out to be a real disappointment too. I don't think the manager (Paul Doolin) really fancied me. I felt I was playing well enough but he chooses the squad.

"I didn't even watch the European finals (in which Ireland reached the semi-finals) on television. If I'm not there, I can't watch. But I knew most of the lads and I was delighted that they did so well at the finals.

"It was a poor season for me and I want to have a better one - starting with this U21 game tonight". The game in question is the Republic's friendly with Croatia - although unfortunately for Duffy he has not been included in the starting line-up.

With a disappointing chapter in his footballing career behind him, Duffy is now searching for a loan move to enhance his opportunities.

"There's not much point in staying at Everton with four quality centre-backs ahead of me and the manager David Moyes wants me getting more experience.

"I made my Everton debut quite young (at 17) but a couple of games doesn't mean you've made it. I really need a full season of playing games to mature properly as a player."

No comments:

Post a Comment