Thursday 23 June 2011

Howard's USA Reach Fourth Consecutive Gold Cup Final

Tim Howard's United States earned a fourth straight trip to the Gold Cup final and eighth overall, beating Panama 1-0 on Wednesday night to avenge their earlier Gold Cup loss at the hands of the Central Americans.

Clint Dempsey lunged at the back post to touch in a Landon Donovan cross in the 76th minute and the goal proved to be the winner, as the Americans redeemed themselves for the 2-1 defeat to "Los Canaleros" in the group stage.

Freddy Adu sent a ball wide on the right hand side to Donovan, who sprinted up the flank and turned into the penalty area. With Jermaine Jones making a near-post run, Donovan sent a low, angled cross to the back post, where Dempsey stretched with his right leg to redirect it in.

"Once Landon gets in those positions, he normally finds a player," Dempsey said. "All I had to do was try to put myself in position that he could find me and I felt far post was the place to go. He hit it hard and low and all I had to do was put my foot on it.

"That's why after the goal I tried to go and celebrate with him because without that pass, there wasn't going to be a goal."

The U.S. will play for the title on Saturday in the Rose Bowl against Mexico, who overcame Honduras 2-0 in extra time in the other semi-final.

No comments:

Post a Comment